Friday, August 30, 2013

Creek of Salmon

Near where I live is a small creek. It expands into a pool about the size of the floor of a semi trailer and holds several small salmon. I like to think of it as my secret spot.

These little guys aren't shy either. They'll readily strike any sort of dry fly, regardless of the conditions. It's a good confidence booster, even if they seldom are over eight inches. I'm always guaranteed to catch (and release) them and they're pretty to look at.

The other evening I fished there for a while and then bushwacked my way downstream, looking for other spots. No real luck with exploration, though I did catch two micro chubs in one smaller pool. Perhaps next time I'll go upstream and see what's in that direction.

Small salmon with fading parr markings. 

Creek exploration.
Area: Small creek.
Water: Normal levels, if not a little low. Temps a little under 70, I'd guess. 
Weather: Upper 60s, clear. 
Time: 6:00-7:30pm
Fish: Five small salmon, largest being eight or nine inches. Three chubs. 
Flies: Size 18 ant imitation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment